Skin-tastic benefits of Turmeric
Cleopatra used to take milk baths to keep her skin beautiful, but today she’d probably take Golden Milk baths, made with Turmeric. Turmeric, contains curcumin, a natural anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant booster (used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries),that in addition to its many health benefits, has skincare benefits as well. Read on to learn more about how this amazing spice can make you more beautiful inside and out.
Turmeric to Treat Skin Conditions
In addition to beauty treatments (more on that later), turmeric is being used as a natural alternative in dermatology, to treat skin conditions without harsh chemicals.
Turmeric may help with:
- Psoriasis- Flare-up and symptoms of this autoimmune skin disorder may be eased by turmeric, according to The National Psoriasis Foundation.
- Acne- Due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial nature, Turmeric may calm inflamed acne prone skin, diminishing break-outs and scarring.
- Rosacea- Turmeric has been reported to help minimize rosacea.
- Wound healing- Curcumin in turmeric can help wounds heal by decreasing inflammation and oxidation.
Turmeric for Beauty and Skincare
Turmeric is used in beauty and skincare treatments to prevent breakouts, heal skin, and for its needle-free, anti-aging benefits. Use turmeric in skincare to:
- Fight cellular damage- Curcumin is proven to promote longevity and anti-aging and fights cellular damage that causes aging!
- Increase Collagen Production- the same properties that speed wound healing seem to help promote collagen production.
- Get a Youthful Glow- As we age, the build-up of skin cells causes skin to appear dull and sallow. Turmeric may help cell turnover and restores your skin’s natural glow.
- Fade Age spots- turmeric works to diminish and fade age spots in the same way as scarring.
- Diminish Breakouts and Fade Acne Scars
How to add Turmeric to your Beauty Routine
- Eat it!
Make turmeric lattes, turmeric teas, smoothies, or enjoy it in your favourite curry. Its anti-inflammatory properties will heal your skin from the inside out.
- Make a mask
For anti-aging benefits, a youthful glow and to prevent breakouts try this at home skin treatment with turmeric:
Mix equal parts Greek yogurt with ground turmeric and raw honey and apply as a mask. Leave on for 10-15 minutes. Any longer may temporarily stain your skin turning your glow into a 1980’s tanning treatment. You may also want to think twice about using white towels to wash it off.
So, what are you waiting for? Get glowing! Add turmeric to your favourite recipes and beauty routine today.
Note - If you are allergic to the spice, please don’t use as a beauty treatment. Try a patch test if you’re concerned about allergies.